Jobs at Benchmark Consulting
Senior Winemaker - Confidential
Winery seeking a Senior Winemaker to oversee production at its 10,000 + case facility. The Senior Winemaker will be responsible for all aspects of production and management of Winerys estate wine program and the wine of current and prospective clients. The ideal candidate will possess 6-10 years of winemaking experience, a robust business acumen, demonstrated success building teams and has successfully scaled winery production. The Winery currently maintains 360 acres planted to 37 different varietals, offering a unique opportunity to develop professionally in a rapidly growing market.
The position is located in Texas.
The Winemaker works collaboratively with and reports to the CEO while also having key interaction with the winerys owners and management team. The Winemaker is also responsible for collaborating with the Vineyard Manager.
The person in this hands-on position is responsible for directing all winemaking activities, ensuring the highest quality in support of stylistic goals. The Winemaker plans and implements improvements in the vineyards and winemaking procedures while helping define the emerging style(s) of the wines. This position exhibits requires a spirit of collaboration within the winemaking team, as well as with the entire team.
- Manages, leads and executes all winemaking activities, including but not limited to: directing viticulture practices, field sampling, organizing the harvesting and reception of grapes, fermentation, aging, finishing and bottling.
- Manage bulk wine inventory and perform lab analysis of wines from vineyard to bottle.
- Implement and manage oak programs.
- Manage production and maintenance of wines for custom crush clients in accordance with clients production and storage protocols.
- Represents winery at industry events as required.
- Monitors vineyard management and harvest strategies to ensure consistency with brand objectives of Winery and its clients.
Planning, Budgeting and Administration:
- Develops and implements operational plans and protocols, manages all aspects of production and management of Winerys premium estate wines.
- Oversees cellar work orders and processes for accuracy, completion and compliance.
- Partner with the executive team and lead collaboration with external vendors and contractors to increase production and capacity of the winery.
- Design and implement wine program for a value-driven brand for the retail market.
- Solicit and develop relationships with external producers to increase custom crush business at the winery facility.
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of compliance reports for relevant state and federal organizations.
- Accountable for inventory management, vendor management, and ordering products and supplies.
- Hires, supervises and develops staff including Assistant Winemaker, vineyard crew, interns and seasonal cellar support. Manages schedules and workflows. Develops long-term strategy for labor and hiring.
Specific requirements include:
- Education: Degree in Enology
- Minimum 6 years of winemaking experience (8-10+ preferred).
- Thorough understanding of winemaking practices and vineyard management.
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytic skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Proven leadership and business acumen skill.
- Spanish language skills a plus. Ability to effectively communicate with people of various backgrounds, languages and cultures a must.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel; as well as online tools such as G-Suite and Dropbox.
- Ability to work flexible and extend hours as needed, and as required, be on call 24 hours per day as it relates to emergencies and wine quality issues.
Required skills include:
- Ability to communicate proactively and precisely with all team members.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaborate closely with other members of Winery team.
- Advanced wine tasting skills including: ability to detect and discriminate subtle differences in wine, such as acidity, alcohol, tannins, fruit and wood flavors, flaws, and textural and mouth feel elements.
- Interest in continuing to challenge knowledge and improve skills in all areas of fine wine production.
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to motivate and mentor members of the winemaking and vineyard teams.
- Ability and willingness to represent the winery in the professional community including but not limited to: speaking at conferences and presenting winery sponsored or conducted trials and/or research.
Moreover, the chosen candidate will wholeheartedly embrace the vibrant culture of Winery, characterized by an unwavering commitment to excellence, a culture of accountability and innovation, and a spirit of enjoyment. We highly value qualities such as compassion, confidence, patience, and an unwavering dedication to expanding our loyal customer base by providing them excellent and unique offerings.
Grape Vine Nursery Sales Representative-California
Job Title: Sales Representative, California
Inland Desert is a family owned and operated farm and wholesale grapevine nursery located in Benton City, WA. We grow organic cherries, wine grapes, and Washington Certiﬁed grapevine nursery stock. Our Washington Certiﬁed ﬁeld & greenhouse ﬁnished grapevines are delivered toclients across North America and represent the core driver of our business operations. Ourmanagement style is underpinned by knowledge sharing, planning, success measurement andhonest feedback in eﬀort of achieving operational excellence, a superior customer experience and a respected work environment for all of our talented team members.
GENERAL ROLE DESCRIPTION
This Grapevine Sales Representative position will be physically carried out from Northern California and will be our nursery's key position for both servicing and building our regionalcustomer footprint through earnest and reliable grapevine sales activities. This role will beprimarily responsible for conducting regional networking, attending trade shows and growermeetings, and carrying out on-going in-person, phone and email communications with wine grape growers to ensure that Inland Desert is well represented for the region's grapevine and budwoodneeds. Success in this position is demonstrated by translating sales and service activities into completed grapevine purchase agreements, production planning insights, and recurring customer opportunities. Importantly, this role will be a remote position and will require a dedicatedcandidate that possesses a self-starting, goal-oriented work ethic and seeks knowledge sharing and trust building by using a proactive and diligent communication style.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent Inland Desert Nursery grapevines to California Growers with a comprehensiveunderstanding of its oﬀering and advantages
- Conduct regional brand building and sales opportunities through industrynetworking events, trade show and growers meeting attendance
- Convert sales leads into completed contracts in a timely manner to secure the sale andlimit delays in production
- Manage sales contracts by following up with customers regarding updates onavailable inventory, waitlist items, shortages, and ﬁnding solutions to accommodate their needs that correlate with our production abilities
- Be in communication with and coordinate customers' delivery requests
- Carry-out contract servicing follow-ups in timely manner to build customer relationships,recurring sales opportunities and gaining insights for Nursery Production and Administration improvements
- Follow-up with individual customers as necessary regarding unscheduleddeliveries, order changes and cancellations, hold-over orders, replacement needs, etc.
- Assist the contract follow-up processes of collecting past due deposits, invoice payments, signed sales agreements and credit memos
- Conduct growing season follow-ups with existing customers to gain honest feedback regarding plant performance and overall experience doing business with Inland Desert and layup next season opportunities
- Assist in the annual nursery cycle planning, such as rootstock and scion combinations,formats, delivery targets and pricing for each nursery cycle
- Periodically review or discuss production operations at critical phases to assist withnursery cycle planning, provide proactive outreach to customers and educate theproduction team on corrective actions
- Evaluate sales growth and service enhancement opportunities and propose them to the SalesManager for review.
- Identify knowledge gaps within the Sales & Administration team and develop a plan to ﬁllthem
- Proactively seek market insight from customers. Learn and report to the team current trends inpopular varieties/rootstocks for diﬀerent regions throughout the country
- Assist in developing and enhancing customer facing marketing and educational materials
PERSONAL SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Self-motivated, goal oriented and results driven
- Strong ability to work independently while also maintaining focus and motivation
- Highly developed sense of integrity and commitment to customer satisfaction and companyperformance
- Demonstrated passion for excellence with respect to customer service
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to handle complaints and gracefully assist unhappy customers while ﬁnding solutions toresolve diﬀerences
- Strong organizational, decision making, prioritization, and time management skills
- Receptive to receiving and providing feedback in order to improve performance, knowledge,and workﬂow processes
- Strong attention to detail with ability to multitask eﬃciently
- Willingness to work a ﬂexible schedule and occasional additional days/hours when needed
- Possesses a strong team player mentality and work ethic
- Experience handling both sensitive and conﬁdential information
- Well versed in oﬃce technology and adaptable to diﬀerent and/or new technologies
- Proﬁcient computer skills, ability to type 40 wpm, attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to concentrate and stay focused in a fast-paced, open oﬃce team environment
- Reliable transportation
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS & WORK EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma and/or equivalent
- Viticulture training, experience or equivalent degree preferred
- 5+ years of Sales and Customer Service work experience, wine and grape industry preferred
- Forms for inputting task information
- Sheets for tracking and analysis of task information
- Gmail for vendor and customer communication
- Documents for standard operating procedure management
- Chats for internal communication
- ID Program: Internal software for managing inventory and generating contracts
- Docusign: in-person signing, ﬁling, etc.
- Asana: Task Management & Collaboration
- Your experience includes having run a successful luxury wine business where you have been exposed to all significant components of the business including wine marketing, high end hospitality, brand development, PR, DTC/Retail/E-Commerce sales, Events, all wholesale channels, farming and wine making.
- You are particularly familiar with the way the numbers flow between these components of the business and how the underlying numbers impact the decisions that are made. Knowing the right balance between cost, quality and efficiency and how it impacts growth dynamics in DTC, Wholesale, and distributor sales management will be your strength.
- Influential, collaborative and inclusive - these are words that are used to describe your leadership and management style.
- You are a part of the future of the winery! Running a Winery business is hard. As an experienced winery leadership professional, you have the wealth of knowledge and skills to pass on to the next generation.
Your mentoring relationships not only benefits the next generation but can also provide the current ownership with an understanding of cutting-edge winery development and growth opportunities.
Paso Robles Ca
This role reports directly to the Ownership.
- Proven experience in managing a wine company and successfully growing a brand. With an EMPHASIS ON DAY to DAY OPERATIONS
- Manage and help direct the other key management players and ensure the team is well motivated, informed and focused on the company's goals and objectives and understands the economic impact of their efforts with regular and documented reviews.
- Work collaboratively with the ownership to fine tune brand development and strategy for long term growth.
- Ensure that the company's activities and culture are always consistent with the near and long-term objectives of the strategy and brand.
- Work directly with the ownership to keep the mission and direction of the company aligned with the long-term objectives and mission of the brand
- This role is responsible for leading cross-functional winery operations and production teams, transforming and optimizing operations.
- 5+ years in a senior management position of a luxury winery with an
- Exposure to and comfort with strategic thinking and problem solving.
- Strong leadership, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to consume information analyze it and devise appropriate responses to said information.
- Excellent Management skills including communication, hiring, assessing and properly staffing the workplace.
- Bachelors or MBA would be preferred.
- Strong understanding and familiarity of systems of operation for wineries including HR, payroll, POS, e-commerce, merchant processing, compliance (federal and state), order processing and shipping.
- Extensive experience and understanding of marketing and brand positioning for ultra-premium wines in the DTC/Retail/E-Commerce and distribution environment.
- Proven experience in a luxury Winery operation and/or production facilities management role
- Experience in budget and CAPEX planning and management
- Demonstrated experience working in a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to set and manage stakeholders' expectations
- Knowledge of production planning and production schedules
- Knowledge of Vineyard Operation(s) including past experience with vineyard development is highly desirable.
- Winemaking exposure beneficial
- Valid drivers license, physical ability to travel both by car and plane and to visit multiple locations both inside the winery and in the vineyards; ability to climb stairs; ability to sit and operate a computer and ability to lift and carry 40+ lbs.
- Specific understanding of luxury wine retail environments and their operations.
- Comprehensive analytical, strategic and tactical skills (i.e., must be able to both create and execute ideas).
- Proven P&L responsibilities with a solid understanding of how efficiency and results correlate with expenditures.
- Entrepreneurial style with experience in a structured environment.
- Adaptability and openness to change.
- Well-rounded interpersonal skills including ability to coordinate with multiple departments.
- Excellent analytical and creative skills.
- Keen attention to detail with effective time and project management skill.
- Passionate about wine and the varying dynamics specific to the wine business.
- In addition, the selected individual will share the companys culture that includes a passion for excellence and innovation. Compassion, patience and a highly developed sensibility are also necessary for success.
- Our workplace values communication, continuous improvement, punctuality, reliability, efficiency and customer experience.
The client company and Benchmark Consulting are committed to an equal opportunity hiring policy and work environment.
The Sales Director is responsible for the leadership, development, and management of all sales channels, implementing effective and innovative new membership generation strategies, upholding the integrity and building of Reddy Vineyards brand image.
Foster a sense of authenticity while driving the luxury quality, sense of scarcity, while delivering the Reddy Vineyards hospitality experience.
- This is a startup operation so duties can range from working the market to manning the tasting room.
- Maintain required records, reports and files in an organized manner.
- Assist with other special projects as assigned.
- Direct and assist various duties that may include, answering phones, mailing list customer service, assistance with annual release and processing orders.
- Establish and maintain an effective system of communication throughout the organization.
- Help establish and implement according the winery owners overall strategy of the company to encompass all functional business areas, including all channels of sales, marketing, hospitality and compliance.
Sales & Marketing
- Create increased and sustainable growth in top and bottom line revenues while increasing growth in asset value.
- Manage and drive all sales in all channels E-Comm, retail and wholesale channels.
- Plan, coordinate, and manage the daily operations of the organization through active, hands-on management of any winery sales staff and wholesale distribution partners.
- Meet frequently with winery owners to ensure that operations are being executed in accordance with the organization's policies. Working collaboratively with the accounting manager to provide financial information along with related recommendations to enable the business to prosper.
- Establish current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies, subject to approval by the winery owner.
- Manage the winery website making certain all elements are updated in a timely manner, and overall effectiveness in driving site visitors, bottle sales and memberships. Search engine optimization (SEO) being a component of this responsibility.
- Continually improve upon the winerys social media presence (ex: Facebook, Blog, etc.) by creating new, exciting and/or informative content.
- Proactively direct the creation of all e-commerce/e-campaign materials and distribution including new wine releases events, special activities and offerings.
- Oversee all copywriting for digital and print material making certain of consistency and the appropriate style and tone exist.
- Proactively manage the planning, design, production and distribution of all print material ensuring the highest quality and controlling expenses.
- Build support and excitement amongst peers and staff of Sales and Marketing related initiatives.
- Review operating results of the organization, compare them to established objectives, and take steps to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to correct unsatisfactory results.
- Lead the continual refinement of the brand messaging, firmly establishing Reddy Vineyards as one of the premier producers of outstanding quality wines. Ultimately, developing an iconic wine brand.
- Build mutually beneficial partnerships with like organizations such as hotels, transportation, wineries, automobiles and other luxury product categories.
- Direct all Public Relations activities in conjunction with the Ownership and potential Public Relations consultant. Inspire media worthy activities, especially those which showcase Reddy Vineyard Wines
- Oversee and coordinate all outreach activities, effectively improving our connectivity with local business and wine clubs to understand, visit and promote Reddy Vineyard Wines.
- Periodically, evaluate the need, and opportunities to advertise.
- Manage all donations and volunteer activities, including wine auctions,pourings and events.
- Define and oversee Reddy Vineyards presence at significant wine events.
- Responsible for meeting the goal revenue plan that includes tasting room, release events and develop new allocation list memberships.
- Responsible for hiring, orientation (policies and procedures), training, supervision, motivation and evaluation of staff. Working knowledge of company policies and benefits.
- This position is essential in providing wine education, developing products and activities for the consumer with a focus on an increase in consumer purchasing levels.
- Assist with development and implement of sales programs and traffic-driving initiatives in conjunction with ownership.
- Works with Winemaking to provide tasting notes for the salon and coordinate daily space allocation.
- Assist with and analyze, evaluate, and negotiate details of educational Winery programs in conjunction with Owner.
- Track, compile, and evaluate key data points and financial information and prepare reports as requested by Owner. Develops all of the DTC budgets and goals.
- Acquire, track and analyze marketplace information. Maintain and update POS Systems as required.
- Understand compliance in coordination with shipping as it relates to DTC.
- Build referral relationships.
- Manage the day-to-day sales operations: scheduling shifts, opening and closing, facility appearance (stocked, clean, orderly), inventory, reconcile cash transaction balances, and safety.
- 5+ years work experience in winery sales management of a top-Tier winery a plus. With an emphasis in wholesale and DTC sales management.
- Communicate with winery owners to resolve discrepancies and accomplish goals. Attain short-term results while planning for long-term winery growth.
- Bachelors Degree in Business or related field, or equivalent education and experience.
- Specific understanding of a luxury retail environment and their operation.
- Comprehensive analytical, strategic and tactical skills (i.e. must be able to both create and execute your ideas).
- Proven P&L responsibilities with a deep understanding of winery finance and operational
- Entrepreneurial style with experience in a structured environment.
- Experience in strategizing, forecasting, inventory management and hands-on leadership of sales and marketing.
- Adaptability and openness to change.
- Well-rounded interpersonal skills including ability to coordinate with multiple departments and diverse personalities.
- Excellent analytical and creative skills. Keen attention to detail with effective time and project management skill.
- Boardroom quality preparation and presentation skills.
- Passionate about wine and profession.
- Valid drivers license; physical ability to travel both by car and plane and to visit multiple locations both inside the winery and in the vineyards; ability to climb stairs; ability to sit and operate a computer and ability to lift and carry 40+ lbs.
Director of Enology & Viticulture
This position has primary responsibility for teaching courses within the Enology and Viticulture program, leading the instructional team, and leading production operations. The Director is responsible for all aspects of program and winery operations to ensure education and production meet industry demands. This position will be responsible for developing new, and maintaining existing, industry relationships that benefit the students we serve and the programs they are enrolled in. The director will provide oversight of all wine making operations for the wines produced by College Cellars, including oversight of the estate vineyards and the production winery including maintaining compliance with all state and federal regulations.
The Director will have regular interaction with the Business Office at WWCC to ensure that College Cellars is being run in fiscally responsible manner, will work with media to promote College Cellars and the Enology and Viticulture program. The Director will be expected to maintain a high level of engagement with the WWCC campus community, Enology and Viticulture staff and instructors, staff and instructors in other areas, and with the Dean of Workforce Education whom they report to directly.
- Ability to instruct students in winemaking and viticulture practices relevant to the wine industry.
- Possess and display a passion for students and their academic and professional success.
- Develop relevant curriculum to enthusiastically and effectively teach courses, workshops and seminars that meet the needs of both students and the local/regional wine industry.
- Recruit, advise, mentor and support students educational and career goals. Assist in placing them in industry positions relevant to their career goals.
- Engage with students both in the classroom and outside of the classroom via practical hands-on learning opportunities.
- Work with other institutions to develop and assess of the enology and viticulture program curriculum and organization.
- Develop and implement program effectiveness and outcomes measures for Enology and Viticulture courses.
- Work with other institutions to produce and maintain articulation agreements and international opportunities for students.
- Develop and maintain relationships with enology and viticulture programs at baccalaureate institutions.
- Foster and maintain strong working relationships with local and regional wineries, industry experts, students, alumni and college staff. Work with the wine industry on issues relevant to program planning, promotion and evaluation.
- Stay current with the latest scientific advances, techniques and technology in winemaking and winery management, incorporating that information into academic curriculum as appropriate.
- Develop programs for recruiting and maintaining enrollment.
- Participate in department, division and College committee and activities.
- Engage with deans and directors of other WWCC programs to further the strategic goals of the college.
- Develop and manage an annual plan and budget for the Enology and Viticulture program and teaching winery known as College Cellars.
- Direct, manage, and oversee all winemaking functions.
- Interface with administration on management issues of College Cellars and wine production.
- Participate in industry activities and maintain positive relationships as they relate to the Enology and Viticulture program.
- Maintain all winery compliance records required at the local, state and federal levels.
- Collaborate with other WWCC departments including the Executive Leadership Team, Business Services, and the Foundation.
- Attend and actively participate in Advisory Committee meetings.
- Supervise Enology & Viticulture department staff and maintain a healthy working environment.
- Instructional skills including project-based learning and hands on instruction styles.
- Exceptional interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships with students, the college, community, and industry.
- Effective leadership and management skills/strong organizational and communication abilities.
- Ability to understand and make data-based business management decisions to ensure the fiscally responsible operation of the winery.
- Ability to recognize the value of cultural, ethnic, gender and other individual differences in people.
- Bachelors Degree in related field required. Industry experience may substitute for education at the discretion of the college.
- Experience in the wine industry required.
- Masters degree in related field.
- Ten years of wine industry experience.
- College level instruction experience.
- Business management experience.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Enology & Viticulture degree program, including instruction, student advising, student career placement insights, and curriculum development/updates.
- Responsible for all wine making operations including oversight of the production winery, estate vineyards, and business operations of College Cellars.
- Supervise all Enology & Viticulture staff and instructors.
- Oversee and manage all the budgets for the Enology & Viticulture degree program and College Cellars.
Work Environment/Physical Demands/Travel Required:
- This position requires physically demanding labor to perform and assist with winemaking functions in the cellar and estate vineyards.
- Periodic travel may be required for industry collaboration and professional development.
Production Manager - Bottling
About Us: Monterey Wine Company is a state-of-the-art custom wine production facility located in King City, California. We are dedicated to providing our clients with the latest in premium wine-making technologies, quality custom crush and processing equipment, experienced blend development, and efficient bottling capabilities. We take pride in offering a sound working environment that welcomes wine traditionalists, inventors, and entrepreneurs. Our commitment to innovation, integrity, and service sets us apart in the industry.
Job Description: We are seeking an Production Manager to join our dynamic team. As a key member of our production department, you will be responsible for supervising all operations related to the production of finished case goods in accordance with departmental policies. Your role will encompass various responsibilities, including production scheduling, inventory control, line operations, performance evaluation, efficiency analysis, quality analysis, safety management, and training program support. You will play a crucial role in helping us achieve our goals of productivity, efficiency, and cost accountability.
- Oversee production operations, including production scheduling, inventory control, safety, staffing, reporting, procedure adherence, consistency, and quality.
- Efficiently operate the bottling line and train staff in line operations, safety, expectations, and procedure adherence.
- Project management experience is essential.
- Strong computer skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to influence and lead teams.
- Business acumen and a knack for analyzing processes to improve quality.
- Drive change and implement new training programs while providing employee support.
- Maintain daily shift and department production requirements and generate reports and logs.
- Maintain professional communication with clients regarding their bottling requirements.
- Keep daily inventory reports of packaging materials and finished goods.
- Manage warehouse inventory, pull orders, load trucks, create Bills of Lading (BOL), and assist with shipping and receiving, including conducting month-end physical audits.
- Maintain a strong presence on the production floor to ensure a consistent flow of production.
- Work directly with Bottling Line Operators to achieve and maintain the accuracy and consistency of information, procedure execution, production requirements, and overall performance.
- Perform daily walks and physical inspections of the warehouse and bottling line to ensure safety, productivity, and organization.
- Maintain a consistent commitment to quality standards for the position.
- Collaborate with the Winemaking, Compliance, and Cellar departments to oversee successful changes in daily and weekly bottling schedule requirements.
- A bachelors degree (B.S.)
- Minimum of 3 years' experience with high-volume packaging lines, with knowledge of bottling line equipment preferred.
- Forklift experience.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to follow directions.
- Proficient computer skills.
- High level of reading, writing, and math skills.
- Ability to lift 55 lbs.
- Fluent in English; bilingual proficiency is a plus.
- Availability to work any shift, including weekends.
If you are a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual with a passion for wine production and the required qualifications, we invite you to apply for the Production Assistant Manager position at Monterey Wine Company. We look forward to welcoming a dedicated professional to our team and continue producing exceptional wines for our clients.